Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Calm Before the Storm: What Happened After We Found Out What Joan Found

People in the Lamb-Doran clan were pretty restless after they found out what Joan found. Wow, a piece of paper from 1948 had survived an immigration that crossed the great Atlantic by boat, then by plane from New York, and finally by car to its Los Angeles home. From there, who knows how many houses it traveled to. Everyone was pretty speechless. However, being speechless doesn’t last long if you were lucky enough to be born into this Lamb-Doran clan. It was only a matter of time for someone to step up and make a smart-aleck comment. This time it happened to be Lil’ Flo.

As much as she wishes she were the sole bearer of comedy in the family, it is both fortunate and unfortunate that she is not. She comes from a long line of smart asses. I believe it is called being Irish. This Lamb-Doran clan is like no other. Not only are they born with the witty gene, they are born with the conceited one too. Conceited only in regards to their humor of course (wink wink, nudge nudge). They are also given ample opportunity to learn first hand the behavior of emotional detachment. Why face true emotions head on when you can get a whole room full of people to laugh at the joker trying to say something sentimental or meaningful? The laugh lines in the Lamb-Doran clan will prove my point. I will spare the members by not inserting a photo here. You’re welcome.

It was 13 hours and 14 minutes after Florence’s initial email that Lil’ Flo made the first of what was to become many, many replies. The Lamb-Doran clan had no idea that a wave of email replies lasting 26 days would hit them when they woke. It seemed fun in the beginning. The end is something we’ll discuss later.

By now I am sure you are dying to know what Lil’ Flo said. I am warning you that it will pale in comparison to future remarks by Lamb-Doran clan members. However, it is necessary to know what comment set off this avalanche.

Wow, I can't believe that piece of paper has been around for 59 years! Just think how long some people in family's birth certificates have been around (I won't name any names, you know who you are)!

Lil’ Flo

Yes, even Lil’ Flo makes typing errors. She is after all, Florence’s daughter. For the most part however, Lamb-Doran family members are very forgiving when it comes to typing errors. For the most part.

As you know, you don’t just go around making fun of the elders without thinking there will be some kind of repercussion. Whatever it is, it is usually worth it. In this case the first response to Lil’ Flo was one in immediate self-defense, which is understandable.

Bernard writes:

I know you are not talking about me - I'm the baby of the sibs!!!!!

Uncle Bernie

From there, things take a nasty twist.

4 comments:

  1. I want to be the first to comment on this post. I know others would have liked to have been first and to them I say better luck next time. I have nothing pithy to say. I just wanted to be first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene P is the clever one, she had to tell the rest of us how to comment !!!

    At least Irene B is NOT the oldest Doran.........

    Fionnuala I'm really enjoying your blogs, now the trick is to see if I can post this comment !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on retreat all week. I'm still catching up. Give me a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. I have a comment already. Joan's computer is down. Maybe Michelle can keep her informed?

    ReplyDelete